So, do you use Java or Kotlin for your software development? Most probably you do. Both of them have their own pros and cons, but which one should you choose? Should it be Kotlin or should it be Java? In this article,Â Kotlin vs java we will focus on the major aspects of both the languages so that we can come to the conclusion of the best because, in the end, you should choose the best.
What is Kotlin all about?
Kotlin is a new programming language targeting the Java platform. Kotlin is concise, safe, pragmatic, and focused on interoperability with Java code. It can be used almost everywhere Java is used today: for server-side development, Android apps, and much more. Kotlin works great with all existing Java libraries, and frameworks.
and runs with the same level of performance, as Java.
Quick Introduction to Java
Java is the worldâ€™s most widely used programming language.
Java is the preferred language for enterprise programming needs.Â Java has also become the language of choice for implementing Internet-based applications and software for devices that communicate over a network.Â As a Java developer, you already know what can be done using Java Programming language, so I will not dig deeper explaining Java. instead, we will focus more on explaining Kotlin Programming language.
Kotlin in Detail
Kotlin is a JVM language, and so the compiler will emit Java bytecode. Because of this, of course, Kotlin code can call Java code and vice versa.
Why use kotlin Programming language?
- Google just announced that it will officially support Kotlin on Android as a
- Kotlin is a statically typed programming language.
- kotlin solves problems faced by working programmers today.
- Kotlin programs can use all existing Java frameworks and libraries.
- Kotlin is statically typed and supports type inference, allowing it to maintain correctness and performance while keeping the source
- Kotlin supports both object-oriented and functional programming styles, enabling higher-level abstractions through first-class functions and simplifying testing and multithreaded development through the support of immutable values.
- It works well for server-side applications, fully supporting all existing Java frameworks and providing new tools for common tasks such as
HTMLgeneration and persistence.
- It works for Android as well, thanks to a compact runtime, special compiler support for Android
APIs, and a rich library providing Kotlin-friendly functions for common Android development tasks.
Kotlin vs Java Key differences
- Kotlin has two keywords for declaring variables,
varis a mutable variable, which is, a variable that can be changed to another value by reassigning it. This is equivalent to declaring a
- kotlin uses a mechanism called
type inferencewhich reduces boilerplate whilst keeping the type safety we expect of a modern language.
- Kotlin everything is an
objectwhereas in Java there are special primitive types which are treated differently from
- Kotlin does not support the automatic widening of
numbers, so conversion must be invoked explicitly.
- In Kotlin, we can create an array by using the library function
arraysare not treated as special by the language.
Do More withÂ MyEclipse
MyEclipse is a Java IDE that includes the best tools for the full stack developer. With MyEclipse, itâ€™s simple to create a dynamic front end along with a powerful back-endâ€”the combination that is critical to todayâ€™s enterprise.
MyEclipse delivers everything the enterprise developer needs to efficiently create powerful applications using the latest technologies.
- Commercial-grade tools built on top of the latest Eclipse Java EE
- Java EE coding enhanced for Spring and Maven
- Superior Angular & TypeScript coding/development support
- Seamless development of popular app servers and databases
- CodeLive with Live Preview for faster HTML & CSS changes
Kotlin the new era
Kotlin is the free and open source, with full support for the major IDE and build systems.Kotlin is pragmatic, safe, concise, and interoperable, meaning it focuses on using proven solutions for common tasks, preventing common errors such as NullPointerExceptions, supporting compact and easy-to-read code, and providing unrestricted integration with Java.
There are a ton of new things to learn and many more things on the horizon. To understand how Kotlin works, first, you need to understand a few key features of Kotlin that make it well suited for software development.Â Today more than a billion general-purpose computers smartphones use Java,Â Java is one of the most preferred programming languages, both Kotlin and Java are strong choices for developers expecting enterprise level applications and a vast ecosystem. but at last, the choice is yours because you should choose the best.