In this article, our primary focus will be reviewing best Node.js ORMs (Object Rational Mapping)
Additionally, this article will clearly point out Node.js ORMs ideal solutions based on certain specific requirements.
What is an ORM
ORM solutions are very ideal because of their ability to facilitate data-driven API development. Due to several user’s needs, there is an urge for the data model of an application.
Usually, the ORMs operate as a super-level API to launch CRUD, with modern well-developed ORMs capable to initialize data through code. Additionally, ETL tools are easy to implement in ORM.
Furthermore, for effective developer experience, ORMs are important because;
- They give a high-level API.
- It can accommodate a single language.
- They have effective and customizable features making them easier and faster to use.
Features to Consider While Choosing ORM
Node mainly supports file system operations, therefore, for wide-range data support, there are specific requirements for CMS data. Generally, the following are the key features that you should look for before choosing your ORM;
- Ability to integrate with Express.
- It should be compatible with Mongo and MySQL.
- Should have intuitive syntax.
- It should be compatible with WordPack.
- High rating at Github.
- More features to choose from.
This tool, therefore, is essential for UI-based that often shows realtime state. Additionally, its realtime replication is compatible with CouchDB and GraphQL.
- Offline first, making it possible for your apps to work even without the internet.
- Multi-Window that supports data synchronization Nodejs-processes or browsers.
- Import and export of the database.
- Schema-based with a simple form of JSON-schema.
- Encryption of data to protect your site and your users.
This is one of the best node JS ORM because of its unique capabilities. TypeORM is compatible with both active records and data mapper patterns. Currently, TypeORM is categorized in the Microframework category of tech stack.
This open-source tool is well-rated at Github meaning its user experience is good and recommendable.
TypeORM is highly affected by other ORMs, for example, Hibernate, Entity Framework and Doctrine.
- Clearly inserts or deletes your database.
- Query caching.
- It supports connections configurations in json/yml/xml/emv formats.
- Compatible with MySQL, SQLite, Oracle, Maria DB, Cockroach DB
- It has a closure table pattern.
Sequelize is a promise-based Node-js ORM that is compatible with Maria DB, Postgress, MySQL, SQLite, and Microsoft SQL. Additionally, Sequelize is a great tool for creating strong, great and high-quality Node-js applications.
- Database synchronization.
- Raw queries.
- Model hooks.
- Model validations.
- Database migrations.
- Data seeding.
Loopback is among 15 best Node.Js ORMS, which helps in creating high -quality apps. Loopback’s out of box integration has over 20 databases and services such as Mongo DB, Postgress, REST and many more.
- Works on-premises or in the cloud.
- Supports Android, iOS and AngularJS SDKs to easily create apps.
- It supports instance GraphQL endpoints for REST applications.
- Its core is currently written in TpyeScript hence it is easy and simple to use.
- It supports open APIs.
Mongoose also commonly known as MongoDB is well designed to work in an asynchronous environment. Mongoose belongs to the Object Document Mapper (ODM) category of the tech stack. It offers a straight-forward schema-based solution which helps in the modeling of application data. To add on the above, c, query building, validation, and several other features.
This open-source Node ORM is well-rated and very popular at Github a clear indication that it is among the best Node JS ORMs.
- Validation function.
- It creates indexes thus allowing faster catching of data.
- It has a set function that makes it possible to change data before saving them to the database.
- Shows a field is required.
Waterline is an adapter based ORM for Node.js. This default ORM in the Sail Framework is also used as modern tool storage and revival engine.
Waterline also gives a uniform API to help with accessing types of databases and protocols. To maintain its efficiency and remain from being among the best Node.js ORM it has developed better ORM features which ensures consistency across its adapters.
- Several adapter systems for example MySQL.
- Supports single line configuration.
- It has a built-in sails-disk NeDB-based file database.
- It supports the use of the file system to store and retrieve data for testing your application functionality.
- It has a normalized interface for the application to communicate with any supported database system.
CaminteJS is a multi-database ORM thus, enabling its users to access several popular database formats. Generally, CaminteJS supports several adapters mainly; Riak, Postgres, MySQL, SQLite, and many others.
- It has a query interface.
- Users enjoy their own database adapters.
- It has common and popular API applications.
- It has a variety of schema data types.
- It defines indices, models, primary keys, and custom methods.
- Features to setup validations.
- It has a flexible query builder.
- Supports multiple databases.
- Easy switching of databases.
Objection.js is a unique ORM for Node.js that has been powerfully and professionally developed to enable its users to fully utilize the power of SQL and the underlying database engine.
Just like Bookshelf Objection.js is also built on a great SQL query builder known as knex.
- It has an optional JSON schema validation.
- A simple way to fetch, insert, update and delete objects using the full power of SQL.
- Easy to use transactions.
- Powerful mechanisms for eager loading, inserting and upserting object graphs.
Node-orm2 is also another powerful ORM tool that supports MySQL, SQLite, PostgreSQL, and Amazon Redshift. Its users can post schema and data and in turn create a simple syntax to the query.
- It creates Models, sync, drops, bulk create, get, find, remove, count, aggregated functions
- It finds, removes and creates Model associations.
- It defines custom validations
- It supports model instance catching and integrity.
This a simple and easy to use typescript ORM that is compatible with node.js. It is usually based on data mapper, the unit of work, and identity map.
Mikro-ORM also supports MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB and SQLite databases.
- Uses a query builder.
- Property validation.
- Vanilla JS support.
- Lifecycle hooks.
- It has identify mapper.
Working with Node.js ORMs is much fun and easier because it simplifies working with the data layer. Despite that, the majority of people are still afraid of the ORM configuration process though they like the efficiency that comes with using the ORMs.
If you have never used any of the above Node.js ORMs choose one of your preferences and enjoy. It’s my hope that this article has been helpful to you by helping you identify the best Node.js ORMs that you can use. I will really appreciate if you can drop some comment and share the article with your friends.