An online port scanner is an application that is used to detect open ports on the network. The port scanning is done to show ports that are opened and are ready to receive information. Thus, the port scanners are mainly used by developers, programmers, or even the general public.
A critical part of a network system assessment mainly deals with vulnerability discovery so as to help in blocking hackers. By getting adequate information about the open ports, it is easy to configure possible vulnerabilities. Normally, the process of port scanning uses TCP/UDP protocols.
The port scanners can connect to a wide range of ports on a network. Having unwanted ports opened is very risky since hackers can take advantage of that in different ways.
Allow me to take you through 15 best online port scanners that will help you identify all open ports, review, and block them in case you don’t need them.
1. TCP Open Port Scanner
Official Website TCP Open Port Scanner
You can quickly find open ports on your website with the help of Gleekflare’s TCP port scanner. By reviewing the results of the TCP port scan it is possible to determine whether a farewell is present and hence making it possible to block all available traffic to ports that are not available.
Pros of Using TCP Port Scanner
- It is usually periodically updated.
- It generates very informative reports which can be represented to stakeholders.
- Given it is already configured it is easy to run.
- It has a simple user-interface making it easy to use.
Cons of Using TCP Port Scanner
- It prevents low-level control, therefore, it is not very popular.
Nmap is a free online port scanner. It is a very useful tool for developers, system administrators, and network engineers. NMap is a shorthand for Network Mapper. This tool is very essential for system auditing for both remote and local networks.
Pros of Using Nmap
- It discovers all the potential hosts.
- It shows the OS name and the version with detailed network information.
- It detects running apps and their versions.
- It scans and discovers all open ports on a specific network.
- Firewall eversions.
Cons of Using Nmap
- It is written in Lua, rather than a common language like Python or Ruby thus making it difficult to extend and customize.
3. Advanced Port Scanner
Official Website for Advanced Port Scanner
Advanced Port Scanner is a free online port scanner, that can be used to scan network devices. This scanner has a user-friendly interface and rich functionality.
Pros of Using Advanced Port Scanner
- Quicker scanning of network devices.
- It can remotely access computers via RDP and Radmin.
- It has identification programs that run on detected ports.
- It easily accesses the resource found; HTTPS, HTTP, shared files, and FTP.
Cons of Using Advanced Port Scanner
- For it to be used the user device must have some specific minimum requirements, therefore, limiting other users whose devices do not meet the threshold.
Official Website for Unicornscan
Unicornscan is one of the most popular free online port scanner. It popular because of it’s asynchronous UDP and TCP scanning capabilities. Additionally, it has unique network discovery patterns that offer additional ways to explore details of remote systems and services.
Pros for Using Unicornscan
- It supports asynchronous UDP scanning.
- It can remotely detect operating systems.
- It is capable of running multiple modules from the command-line.
- It has a highly effective IP port scanner and service detection.
- Its asynchronous TCP scanning makes it outstanding.
Cons of Using Unicornscan
- It defaults to a TCP scan without sending ICMP like other scanners.
NetCat which is commonly abbreviated as NC is a simple but very powerful tool. It can open TCP connections, open UDP packets, port scanning, and can deal with both IPv6 and IPV4.
Pros of Using NetCat
- Supports verbose port scanning.
- It is compatible with all popular operating systems like Windows, Linux, and macOS.
- It has inbuilt port scanning capabilities.
- NetCat supports both TCP and UDP port scanning.
Cons of Using NetCat
- The installation of NetCat is not simple hence you might need a techie to help you with the installation.
6. SolarWinds Port Scanner
SolarWinds port scanner is an open-source and free online port scanner. It is able to identify all network vulnerabilities through the scanning of open IP addresses and their corresponding TCP and UDP ports.
SolarWinds is a commercial tool that is also used as a network configuration manager.
Pros of Using SolarWinds Port Scanner
- It gives users an option to run a scan from the command line.
- This online port scanner is faster because it has multi-threading.
- It gives you the freedom to choose a DNS server of your choice.
- Supports user tracking and endpoint user connectivity.
- It enables users to view and edit IANA port details.
Cons of Using SolarWinds Port Scanner
- The set-up of monitoring templates is only found through the user community.
- SolarWinds can be easily bloated when additional modules are added.
7. MiTeC Scanner
MiTeC is a multi-threaded tool that is widely used as an online port scanner. This online scanner is unique due to its features which allow scanning of IP, Port, ICMP, NETBIOS, SNMP, and ActiveDirectory. Furthermore, it has various scan features like IP addresses, running process, logged user, Mac Address, remote device time and date among other key features.
Pros of Using MiTeC
- It usually automatically detects the user’s IP range.
- It will allow you to export the scan results in CSV format.
- It accommodates Ping Sweep and scans for opened UDP and TCP ports.
- It has features that allow resource sharing.
- It is able to detect available interfaces for the SNMP supported devices.
Cons for Using MiTeC
- MiTec is not very reliable since it crushes more often.
IPVoid is one of the best online port scanners that can be used to check open ports on a computer. It can also be used to check firewall software. With IPVoid, you can see details like Blacklist check, IP Geolocation, IP to Google Maps and many others.
Pros of Using IPVoid
- It can test firewall software.
- It detects if port forwarding is working correctly.
- IPVoid is completely free to use.
- It is powerful and easy to use.
Cons of Using IPVoid
- It has a complicated user interface making it quite difficult to use.
Official Website for HideMy.name
HideMy.name is an online port scanner, that is used as a free web proxy and privacy tool.
It is compatible with Linux, Windows, Mac, and Android systems. It has both paid and premium tiers. HideMy.name is also able to detect open ports on the computer.
Pros of Using HideMy.name
- It has unlimited bandwidth.
- There is a money-back guarantee.
- It is compatible with popular operating systems like Windows, Android, macOS, and Linux.
- It is fast and provides accurate data.
Cons of Using HideMy.name
- The premium tiers which have all the advanced features for more reliable port scanning are expensive.
Official Website for Pentest-tools
Pentest-Tools.com allows you to scan your websites, discover and report vulnerabilities in your site. It has powerful pen-testing tools that make it easier to work with. Pentest-Tools.com is commonly used by penetration testers, website developers, network administrators, and general users.
Pros of Using Pentest-Tools.com
- It has tools that can open TCP ports.
- It is capable of detecting the version of the service and OS.
- It can bypass network restrictions and scan external IP addresses.
- Its reports are easy to read and interpret.
Cons of Using Pentest-Tools.com
- It takes some time for a pen-tester to detect all available vulnerabilities.
Official Website for WhatIsMyIP
WhatIsMyIP is a very useful tool since it is able to provide IPv6, IPv4, as well as showing the IP addresses. Despite offering port scanning services in different categories it can also be used for changing /hiding of IP, tracing of emails, testing of internet speed among other essential services.
Pros of Using WhatIsMyIP
- It can be used to test internet speed.
- Detecting the IP which is very important.
- Capability to change the IP address.
Cons of Using WhatIsMyIP
- It is a bit complicated to use.
12. Angry IP Scanner
Official Website for Angry IP Scanner
Angry IP scanner is a network scanner that is capable of scanning both the local network and the internet. This free open-source platform does not need any installation. Angry IP scanner is compatible with popular operating systems; Windows, Linux, and Mac.
Pros of Using Angry IP Scanner
- It is very fast and also simple to use.
- Angry IP Scanner allows its users to export the scan results in any format of their preference.
- It has a command-line interface.
- It can be integrated with JAVA by using a plugin.
- It is extensible with the help of additional data fetchers.
Cons of Using Angry IP Scanner
- It is complicated making it difficult to use.
13. MyLANViewer Network Scanner
Official Website for MyLANViewer
If you understand the intricacies of network scanning then I am sure you will prefer using MyLANViewer as your online port scanner.
With MyLANViewer detect both IP and MAC addresses, furthermore, it can show you shared folders on both wireless and wired networks.
Pros of Using MyLANViewer
- Works on all versions of Windows.
- It has Netbios that makes it possible to discover shared folders.
- It is completely free to use.
- It is able to trace live computers connected to your Wi-Fi or wired network.
Cons of Using MyLANViewer
- It is not compatible with all operating systems.
14. Cenix Network Port Scanner
Official Website for Cenix Network Port Scanner
Cenix Network Port Scanner is downloaded from Microsoft store which is highly reputable and reliable. This online port scanner can also be used to test general network security.
Pros of Using Cenix Network Port Scanner
- It has a simple interface that is easy to navigate through.
- It can scan a wide range of IP addresses and ports.
- Highly trusted since its downloaded from an authentic and reliable source (Microsoft Store)
- It is completely free of charge.
Cons of Using Cenix Network Port Scanner
- The scanning process can sometime be quite slow.
15. Komodo Slitheris Scanner
Official Website for Komodo Slitheris Scanner
Komodo Slitheris can detect the type of operating system of remote hosts through TCP/IP. It is a premium scanner although users can use if for free if they scale down their network scan for up to 5o scans.
Pros of Using Komodo Slitheris
- It is ideal for scanning MSPs for several customer sites that need a quick review.
- It gathers a wide range of network information without credentials or agents.
- It is free for 50 network devices per user.
Cons of Using Komodo Slitheris
- Users are limited to 50 network devices, anything above that is charged.
As you have seen, a good number of online port scanners are free and open source. The list of online port scanners is endless and maybe you using one that is not in this list. The scanners are very importan tools to system administrators, developers, network engineers, banks and government.
It is my hope that this article has been so helpful to you in identifying the best online port scanner that you can use. Feel free to drop any comment and you can share the article with your buddies in other platforms.